Wednesday, March 3, 2010

LOST: "Sundown" Reflections

Dogen tells Sayid that inside each of us is a scale; on one side is good and the other is evil. This must also refer to the literal scale we saw in "The Substitute" with the two rocks on it. Apparently their little machine measures this imbalance somehow.

I don't think Claire is exactly evil, at least not in the way Sayid seems to be. She may not be "claimed" via infection, but rather through association with the Man in Black. She is just deceived by him. Under the glassy eyes I see a woman who is being manipulated.

The whole plot line about stabbing Locke quickly before he kills us all reminded me of The Omen. I was glad Sayid DID stab him, but it had no effect. Dogen said that if he speaks it is already too late. But Sayid didn't stab until after he said "Hello, Sayid". So, if he'd stabbed him before, would it have killed him? It's hard to imagine being able to so easily kill an undead smoke being. But it was right around here I got nervous about Sayid. I had been hoping he would choose to be good. But when you stab a guy in the chest and he barely reacts to it, do you normally hear what he has to say all calmly? Sayid was already beginning to turn.

Dogen refers to unLocke as "evil incarnate". This whole thing seems to be more pillaging from Stephen King, making the Man in Black analagous to Randall Flagg (who I would also add was "the man in black" in the Dark Tower series -- which I haven't finished, so don't spoil it!).

Locke tells Sayid that he can bring Nadia back. This must be a lie, right? But Sayid seems to fall for it. Didn't Locke's speech remind you of the "magic box" thing that Ben used? Makes me wonder if there really is a magic box of sorts on the island that's more than just a metaphor. And the Man in Black's ability to exchange a favor for the giving of life mirror's Jacob's similar deal with Dogen. Do they have the same power? Or is the Man in Black's a lie, while we know Jacob's was real?

When Kate is taken to see Claire in the whole, she is given two minutes. Funny, usually on Lost these scenes are given three minutes.

It's a shame: Sayid really is evil. Our Sayid is gone. Even Ben was freaked out! I wonder how much Ben knew about Dogen's backstory. Is it true that Dogen was the only thing protecting the temple? Would everyone have survived if he had lived? I feel conflicted about Cindy and the kids. On the one hand, I'm glad they aren't dead, but I don't trust them with Locke. And there's something else going on, because if he could just leave the island, why would he waste his time going to the temple and killing everyone?

Dogen tells a sort of "sold my soul to the devil" story, only in this case the devil is Jacob. Jacob saves his son (so Jacob DOES have healing powers), but in exchange Dogen can never see him again. This makes Jacob sound sinister. But is it? In the end, wasn't it Dogen's choice? What exactly is Dogen's role in the temple, and what did Jacob do before there was a Dogen? I'm still believing Jacob is good.

When the Smoke Monster kills everyone in the temple, we essentially have an anti-Passover, with the evil being killing all who have not separated themselves out. He even literally passes over Kate, when she's hanging over the pit with Claire.

It was good to see Ilana and Lapidus again and finally link up these two stories, but Sun still doesn't get any lines. I hope she reunites with Jin soon. Speaking of which, where is Jin? Is he still in Claire's tent?

Everyone seems to be looking for Jack and Hurley. What makes them so important? Locke tells Sayid that Dogen only sent him to be killed. But the implication was he was going to send Jack and Hurley originally. I don't think he wanted them killed. So what was really going on there? It seems he wasn't tricking Sayid. So now Sayid has believed the lies of the Smoke Monster and is now more evil than Charlie ever was. I guess he was right last season; he IS a killer. That's just what he is.

alt-2004
Most of the flash-sideways this week was pretty blah to me. The cab driver who dropped Sayid off sounded like Steve Buscemi to me. Not saying it was, but he reminded me of him.

Sayid is not with Nadia, but his brother is. While there a couple nice "uncle Sayid" moments, I don't really get why this is. What led Sayid to distance himself from Nadia? The question is asked, but never really explained. He was just so ashamed of his actions in the war that he couldn't marry the woman he loved? I wonder what happened to Sayid's brother in our timeline.

Nadia also doesn't seem to have the greatest loyalty to her husband. When he's attacked, she begs Sayid NOT to avenge him. She knows of the debt, and tells Sayid NOT to give them money because it's his mess. What's going on here? Is she just hoping he dies so she can marry Sayid?

The cameo of the day award goes to: Martin Keamy. It's totally believable that this guy would be a thug like this. I wonder if he's still an ex-marine in this timeline. ...And why do these confrontations so often happen in kitchens?

Anyway, the whole story seemed pretty standard and uninteresting to me. "I'm Sayid, I love a woman I can't have. Now I must call upon the skills that I hate to kill for those I care about. Ho hum, praise Allah." The only thing that sparked my interest was when Jin was discovered in the closet. Now I'm wondering why he's there and what will Sayid do with him. THAT's interesting. I hope they follow up on this!

No comments:

Post a Comment