Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Something for Mother's Day

A strange thing happened to me this morning. I woke up thinking about the Mommy Market. Now, I wasn't dreaming about it, nor had any other related thoughts to it, but when I woke up I remembered a movie I hadn't seen for a long time. If you have no idea what I'm talking about, well good! That's why you're reading this!

Sunday is Mother's Day, and funnily enough that's an appropriate time to check out the movie I'm referring to; it's called Trading Mom. Based on the children's book The Mummy Market, the story follows three kids who decide they don't like their mom and want to trade her. So they go to the Mommy Market where they are given three chances to find a new mom. Each of the kids gets their pick at a new mom, but each one ends up not being quite right. All of the moms are played by Sissy Spacek. If you only know her from her dramatic work like In the Bedroom or from being creepy Carrie, then this film is worth checking out. She is funny, and does a great job making all four moms distinct characters. The daughter is played by My Girl's Anna Chlumsky, who has kind of disappeared these days, but was in all kinds of kids movies back then.

I saw the movie back in the late '90s when Disney Channel used to run it a lot. If you have never seen it, I was worried that it would be difficult to find. It was available on VHS years ago, but has never been released on DVD. However, Lionsgate Films has done us all a solid; the entire movie is available on YouTube. And not like in 12 parts; the entire film uncut. So if you have an hour and a half for a sweet kids movie, you can watch Trading Mom here.

I don't know why I woke up with this movie on my mind, but it's a great movie for Mother's Day. I think I may watch it now.

No comments:

Post a Comment