Saturday, March 27, 2021

Psalm 119/1

 Of all the many Psalms, Psalm 119 is the longest and most poetically interesting. Some Psalms are clearly songs, many set to the same familiar tunes. Some are acrostic poems where each line begins with a letter of the Hebrew alphabet. Psalm 119 one-ups the acrostic format and instead of being a single 22 line poem, it is a 22 stanza acrostic poem of 8 lines each. The stanzas are arranged in alephbetical order with all 8 lines of each beginning with that letter. It's fairly intricate. And to top it off, this very literate structure is the basis for a psalm entirely focused on the word of God.

So I got to thinking the other day, what if we took Psalm 119 and broke it up into 8 separate acrostic poems, each line going in alephbetical order? So that's what I have done and will be presenting hear throughout this Passover week for the next 8 days. The following is in the New King James translation.

Psalm 119/1 

Blessed are the undefiled in the way, Who walk in the law of the LORD!
How can a young man cleanse his way? By taking heed according to Your word.
Deal bountifully with Your servant, that I may live and keep Your word.
My soul clings to the dust; revive me according to Your word.
Teach me, O LORD, the way of Your statutes, and I shall keep it to the end.
Let Your mercies come to me, O LORD–Your salvation according to Your word.
Remember the word to Your servant, upon which You have caused me to hope.
You are my portion, O LORD; I have said that I would keep Your words.
You have dealt well with Your servant, O LORD, according to Your word.
Your hands have made me and fashioned me; give me understanding that I may learn Your commandments.
My soul faints for Your salvation, but I hope in Your word.
Forever, O LORD, Your word is settled in heaven.
Oh, how I love Your law! it is my meditation all the day.
Your word is a lamp to my feet and a light to my path.
I hate the double-minded, but I love Your law.
I have done justice and righteousness; do not leave me to my oppressors.
Your testimonies are wonderful; therefore my soul keeps them.
Righteous are You, O LORD, and upright are Your judgments.
I cry out with my whole heart; Hear me, O LORD! I will keep Your statutes.
Consider my affliction and deliver me, for I do not forget Your law.
Princes persecute me without a cause, but my heart stands in awe of Your word.
Let my cry come before You, O LORD. Give me understanding according to Your word.

No comments:

Post a Comment